Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Christmas

Lakeland Zone Conference
(Alex is second from right, near the back, in the white shirt)

You have often asked me, and I have asked myself, how my mission changed me so far? I can't even count all the ways it has, but I'll try to throw a few ideas down on paper for you. Sitting down and really thinking about it has really helped me to appreciate these changes more. In writing this, I hope that you a) get a little bit of a view on how I have grown, b) remember how the decision to serve a mission helped shape you, c) get Morgan even more excited to serve a mission!

One of the things that serving a full-time mission strengthens the most is your testimony of the Savior. I have grown a lot closer to Him these past 7 months than I possibly could have on my own. I have really gained a better grasp of the Atonement and how to fully utilize it in my life. His sacrifice for us is one of the chief teachings of our church and Christ's gospel. It is something we really focus on appreciating and, in studying it out, I have felt and seen the effects of that extraordinary act of love. Without the blessings we receive from His sacrifice we could never return to live with our Father in Heaven. Had Christ not broken the bands of death forever, the Plan of Salvation would have been completely void. Our mortal could not put on immortality and we would have been in "subjection to (Satan), that he might encircle (us) about with his chains, that he might chain (us) down to everlasting destruction..." Clearly, we have a better option when we choose to follow Christ and the Father's plan where we can receive "a state of happiness...a state of rest...a state of peace..." Without Christ we could not have that.

Just having a Redeemer who made an infinite sacrifice is not enough. While this is a free gift for all people it requires real work on our part. Thankfully we have many things to help us along our path to godhood. God gave us direct revelation through a living prophet. Having that direct link to God is another thing that I have really come to love and appreciate more on my mission. One of the greatest things to explain to an investigator is how God loves us enough to give us a living prophet today. It really is one of the tender mercies of the Lord that is easy to overlook. While I have grown up hearing and hearkening to the things the prophet said, I am just now really starting to love the things he says and why he says them. Having the opportunity to hear the words of the Lord is one of my favorite blessings.

A prophet is not all that we have to guide us. We have the scriptures that are full of wisdom and answers. The Book of Mormon really is the keystone of our religion. If it is not true then Joseph Smith probably made the whole thing up. However, if it is true, and it is, then we really are the true church of Christ. Reading from this book every day and really studying it has solidified my testimony of Joseph Smith and this church. I have learned that every story and every word is included to help us progress and feel the Lord's love for us.

During Christ's earthly ministry He went about loving everyone He saw. His life was in the service of his family (us) and He ultimately gave His life for every creature that would ever live. Christ did nothing but love and it is hard to imagine doing His work without that same love radiating from us. Serving a mission has really taught me how to love people as the Father loves them - to look past the faults and shortcomings and see the real potential that we all have. Loving people is key to this work. When we lose love we often lose the motivation to work and lose sight of what is really important.

A mission has also really taught me how to sacrifice. Leaving on a mission is hard! Leaving behind all the things you love, to go live with people you don't know, in an area that is totally strange without many of the comforts enjoyed before. Being out here has taught me how to be resourceful and to rely on the Lord when I have nothing else. I have learned to realize what I do and do not need, and how to prioritize my life. When we really don't have much we realize how much we actually do have. It is a lot easier to recognize blessings when those are the reward we get for serving.

The Spirit is another key element to being an effective servant of the Lord. The guidance of the Spirit is our best method of finding people to teach and baptize. We have to live worthy to receive that guidance and it usually isn't easy.

It's hard to count all the ways that this experience has changed me and I can't imagine it changing me even more, but I know that it will. I love you all so much! I'm so thankful to have you for a family. I couldn't have asked for a better family to be a part of. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment